Thursday, August 24, 2006

Underrated Badasses of Cinema Week!

This may or may not work, but I am all about the theme weeks, even if they start on a Friday. So my particular theme next week: Underrated Badasses of Cinema!

Yes, yes, we all know about your John McClane , your Jules Winnfield , your Indiana Jones, and your Ripley.

(Incidentally, if you actually click that Indiana Jones link above because you're not familiar with the character, well... let's just say the odds are good that you're not exactly this blog's target audience.)

But this week (for my posts, anyway) is dedicated to the Underrated Badasses of Cinema --- the characters that despite not being super mega action heroes/heroines or starring in gazillions of movies, managed to create enduring badass characters worthy of emulating in office meetings, deep-sea expeditions, or public restrooms.

"But Chris," you're probably thinking, "What exactly is an Underrated Badass of Cinema? And how can you read my mind?"

Obviously, the character has to be underrated. By that I mean that one must apply Holly's Law Of Underratedness, which states:

When Movie X is discussed among friends, if Character Y is the third or fourth discussion point brought up and prefaced by the sentence "You know who was good in [Movie X]? [Character Y]." then Character Y has the property of Underratedness.

Additionally, the character must be a Badass, where we apply Holly's Law of Badassedness, which states:

If Character Y makes it plain through dialogue or action that he, she, or it is clearly better than you and could probably give you a heart attack just by glancing in your direction, Character Y has the property of Badassedness.

So, this (next) week I'll be celebrating Underrated Badasses of Cinema! Oh, and more than likely Sara, Scott, and Jake will have some actual critical reviews as well if you get tired of my self-aggrandizing.

Not that I ever do.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sara J said...

Heh. I'm adding a criteria to the underrated laws - if the movie was never a cinematic success then the person can still be underrated due to lack of exposure.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

4:32 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I think that makes total and complete sense.

5:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home